Welcome to my running commentary on life.

Welcome to my running commentary on life.

Friday, September 9, 2011

A Random Act of Beauty


Today we observe Patriot Day.  It’s Friday, and Patriot Day doesn’t arrive until Sunday, but for the working public and school children, we observe today.  For most, it’s a time to reflect on that terrible moment in 2001.  We think back to where we were, what we were doing when it happened.  We are mindful of those who lost there lives, those who struggle with the loss of loved ones and those who serve in great peril every day.

For one fireman, the Deputy Chief of Fort Lee (NJ) Volunteer Fire Department, commemoration takes another form.  He decided generosity would be a fine memorial.  Most would agree, or at least the 76,000+ who decided to join his Facebook event called “Sept 11 10th year, Pay it forward event”.  What a marvelous idea!  Help a stranger, who helps a stranger and so on.  I like it.

The opportunity to help comes in many forms.  It can be as simple as holding a door for someone or as complex as joining Habitat for Humanity for the weekend.  Sometimes a smile is all that’s needed, a word of encouragement or pat on the back. 

I saw something beautiful today.

At lunch time, in a hurry as usual with my car sucking fumes, I made for the corner gas station.  When I pulled in, it was to discover a long line to enter the lot.  It was either wait for an opening, or thumb a ride.  Sigh.

As I moved slowly into the lot, I saw the cause of all the congestion.  Some woebegone man had locked himself out of his pickup.  It was a real bummer considering his truck blocked all traffic between the pumps and the building.  As I said, it was lunchtime.  The place was extremely busy.  I saw the man dial his cell phone several times, presumably looking for whomever had his spare set of keys.

The poor man was mortified.

I maneuvered as best as I could and finally managed to find an open pump.  By that time, the manager was outside talking with the hapless truck owner.  There was a woman in an older model car in front of me.  She waited at the next pump, sitting behind the wheel, looking upset.  In the back seat was a toddler, his blond head bobbing as he happily played with his toys and giggled.

The longer the woman sat, the more dejected she became.  I watched her as I fished for my debit card.  When I exited my vehicle, a thin man walked past me.  His bearing was proud, his stride purposeful.  “How are you, young lady?” he said with a smile as he passed on his way toward the woman in the car.  He said something to her through the window, leaving her crestfallen.  He walked to the back of the car and leaned against it. 

Being a writer, I was more than a little curious.  He didn’t move to fill the tank.  He wiped his brow and stared into space with a troubled expression.  My first thought was lover’s spat.  I moved to the back of my Saturn and put the debit card into the pump, all the while, keeping an eye on the couple a few feet away.   That’s when I saw the man speaking to a woman on the other side of pump island.  Then she disappeared inside her car.  When she came out, she handed him a handful of bills.

His hand reached slowly.  His pride warred with his need.  The baby in the back seat giggled.  The mother in the front seat looked close to tears.  Then the unknown woman stepped around the pump and slipped her card into the machine.  She told the man to fill his tank. 

Pride is a strange thing.  The man held his head high, looked at this kind stranger with dignity and pride.  He thanked her and fueled his car.

I finished my task, took my receipt and moved my car out so someone else could get in.  I parked on the other side of the station and headed in to get a drink. 

Remember the guy with the locked truck?

The older car had pulled forward and the proud man stood next to the truck.  He was talking to the owner.  I heard him say, “Someone helped me, now I’m going to help you.”

It was a beautiful thing.

I got my drink, paid, told the man behind the counter what was going on.  By the time I got outside, the truck door was open and both men were grinning.  The woman in the car was smiling.  The baby continued to giggle. 

I began to wonder how the guy with the truck would pay it forward.  What would the next person do to maintain the chain?

I was able to help a few people throughout the day, but not with the kindness and generosity of that unknown woman who started an entire chain of compassion this afternoon.  I applaud her, and anyone else who goes that extra step.  If we all extend a hand at least once a day, what a wonderful world this would be.

Have a blessed and safe Patriot Day.

4 comments:

  1. I have tears in my eyes. Thank you for the refreshing reminder of humanity and compassion. I know I have seen a few examples of it lately. It warms my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful. They say that its usually the tiniest of things that can make a world of difference

    ReplyDelete
  3. Patriot day honors all that we lost and all that serve and have served. Each day in our short lives we should extend our hands and remember those that extended theirs.
    Well spoken Molly.
    Joe Walnuts

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is really great! It's how we are supposed to treat each other!
    As a Vet, I Salute my brother warriors and also the first responders who give so much to help those in need in emergencies, sometimes giving all like those on 9/11.

    ReplyDelete